Become a NEW member or RENEW Your Membership
Donate by clicking this LINK
You may also donate by mailing a check made payable to
EDMONDS SENIOR CENTER
PO Box 717
Edmonds, WA 98020
Edmonds Senior Center / Waterfront Center Capital Campaign - Q & A
What’s happening with the construction of the new Center?
- We received our building permit on July 1, 2019
- The building has been demolished
- 110 Augercast piles are now in place
- The structural concrete slab is scheduled to be poured in mid-November
- The Board recently voted unanimously to go “all green” LEED Gold, full solar and no fossil fuel use on site
When will it be complete?
- It is anticipated that construction will take 12-16 months
- If everything goes as planned, we will be in the new Center in January 2020
What is the name?
- The name of the Center is the Edmonds Waterfront Center (EWC)
- The building will be owned and operated by the Edmonds Senior Center (ESC)
Who is it for?
- Our first priority are the members of the Senior Center
- The EWC is being designed, built, owned and operated by the Edmonds Senior Center
- With expanded hours the EWC will offer program for seniors as well as people of all ages. As a regional center, the EWC will be a gathering place and hub of activities for residents of south Snohomish & north King County
What programs will be offered?
- A full range of our popular adult health & wellness, education and recreation programs will be offered in the building from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day - expanding the programs currently offered including intergenerational programs
- The City Parks Department will offer programs for people of all ages from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
What is being done to address parking?
- There will be a total of 70 parking stalls – 6 fewer than the old parking lot. Structured parking was not an option
- Street parking and the City’s Fishing Pier parking will also be available
- We will encourage car-pooling and are exploring using our vans for targeted pickup
How are you doing on fundraising?
- We have raised $14.45M toward our $16.5M goal
- Last fall Rick Steves committed another million dollars bringing his total pledge to $4M. We also received $1M from John Osberg a long-time Woodway resident who made the gift in memory of his late wife Gloria
- We have a viable path to the remaining $2.05M but it will take the full support of the community to get to the goal
- Our hope is that every community member will make a gift to the project that is right for them and their family
How can people give to the project?
- Write a check
- Make a multi-year pledge
- Make a gift of stock
- If you are 70 ½ years of age or older, make a gift from your IRA. It can meet your RMD, avoiding capital gains tax
Where will the programs be offered during the transition?
- We are offering all your favorite programs in 15 sites around the City
- We have a detailed listing which can be found on our website: www.edmondswaterfrontcenter.org
Once the building is built how do you plan to pay for the operations?
- We have built a 15-year pro forma that shows a sustainable business model
- We anticipate our operating budget will increase from the current $700,000 to $1M in the new building
- The increase in revenue will come from growth in: rental income, food service, thrift store revenue, program revenue and fundraising - drawing on our expanded donor base from the capital campaign
How will you get younger people to come?
- By offering a full range of dynamic programs for all ages in a modern and inviting building that takes full advantage of the rare beachfront location with spectacular views of the Puget Sound, the Olympic Mountains and Washington State Ferries
- We have already been providing intergenerational programs including drama, trivia nights, music and volunteering through the International Baccalaureate program at Edmonds - Woodway High School
When can we reserve space in the new Waterfront Center?
- As soon as we receive 100% confirmation from the contractor when we will have occupancy.
- People can begin inquiring in January 2020.
We welcome your input. Please add any additional questions or comments bellow and we will register your comment or get you an answer to your question. If you would prefer to speak directly with Executive Director & Campaign Director, Daniel Johnson can be reached at
(206) 293-4823 or email.
Donate by clicking this LINK